Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  One benefit from the current travel uncertainty

One benefit from the current travel uncertainty

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
CabinJon
CabinJon
147 posts
Mar 25, 2020 - 6:17 PM

The only benefit I see from the current worldwide virus turmoil and corresponding travel restrictions and uncertainty is that it gives those planning to visit Switzerland that much more time to research potential places of interest, methods of transport, accommodations, and culinary and shopping opportunities. I realize this is a small benefit compared to the disruptions, costs, and anxiety caused by the current conditions, but does offer an opportunity to provide some pleasure for future travelers.

Prior to our last two trips, we spend months, on and off, planning our upcoming trips, which was not only beneficial for when we arrived in Switzerland but also served to get us excited and eager during the research process. Perhaps now would be a good time to read through some of the trip reports posted by others over the past few years, looking for nuggets of information that bring about one of those "Ah Hah!" or "We need to do that" moments. Wish lists are cheap fun.

In the meantime, everyone stay safe, and look forward to future travels.

Janbarn
Janbarn
7 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 1:30 AM

Uplifting attitude CabinJon! If you have any nuggets of information about your travel to Switzerland, I wouldn't mind an AhHah moment!! Anything that stands out as something you were glad you did/saw? Planning my trip for late September if the world is back to normal-ish by then! Thanks!

CabinJon
CabinJon
147 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 3:26 AM in reply to Janbarn

Janbarn - Yes, several items from last year.

1. Walking through Old Town Zurich to look at the famous churches, hidden parks, and the Augusto Giacometti murals painted in the lobby of the police station.
  2. Lunch at Made in Italy restaurant in Vaduz, Liechtenstein (inexpensive, excellent, and cash only). A relatively short train & bus ride from Zurich. Ever been to Liechtenstein? Know anybody who has?
  3. Walking around Old Town Luzern, having beers at riverside cafes and dinner at the Rathaus Brauerei, and avoiding the jewelry stores that carry $15, 26, 40, and 80,000 (!!) wristwatches. A walk up to the old town walls and into some of the towers provides perspective on the city. I recommend going up via the narrow streets behind the old town section and come down via the stairs next to the tower closest to the river. Seems there are about 200 steps and we saw many people stopped to rest on the way up; much easier going down. The small cow pasture, with cows, near the top was something I don't see in the middle of a US city. Catching the farmer''s market (Tuesday & Saturday) along the River Reuss was crowded but delightful.
  4. Walking around the peak of the Stanserhorn and wondering what that haystack-looking thing on the backside was doing up there all by itself. Listening to the cowbell symphony from the open air train car on the first leg of the trip up to the Stanserhorn was an unexpected treat. Wandering through the rock tunnel at the top of Mt. Pilatus. If you're lucky, you can catch an alpenhorn concert on the plaza at the top. Trying to avoid the crowds at Mt. Titlis and Schilthorn - not so much fun.
  5. Any boat ride on Lake Lucerne, and if the weather is good, a lakeside lunch at the Restaurant Oliv in Weggis.
  6. Train up to Kleine Scheidegg for outdoor lunch of rosti (Bernese style) and Erdinger Weiss beer at the train station restaurant while gazing at the Eiger, Monch, and Jungfrau mountains in the sunshine.
  7. The color of Lake Brienz in the sunshine while going up to and down from the top of the Rothorn was stunning. A very tropical turquoise blue and totally unexpected.

There are lots of others, I wrote very verbose trip reports following our trips in October the past two years. I also read several other detailed trip reports. There was a very detailed report prepared by member Kim a few years ago that provided multiple tips & hints, especially for the Jungfrau region, but I don't have a link for it. I hope someone else does.

Just scratching the surface....

Annika
Annika
6215 posts
expert &
Mar 26, 2020 - 9:24 AM

Thanks for your positive note, CabinJon! We can all use this kind of encouragement!

Janbarn
Janbarn
7 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 11:56 AM in reply to CabinJon

Thank you! I love the ideas to experience authentic places! Definitely putting many of these on my list! Probably not Liechtenstein, as we'll just be passing through via train to Austria. My son has been there, though, but only because he's visited 85 countries and I imagine it was a short visit on his way to elsewhere! Safe travels in the future!

Ildiko
Ildiko
911 posts
top member &
Mar 26, 2020 - 1:20 PM

Hi CabinJon,

it was so great to read your tips and experiences. I miss wandering around so much especially in these sunny days, so I was happy I could at least read about these beauties.

Here is the link, you were looking for: www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/tips-about-wengen-and-the-jungfrau-region-by-kim

I wish you good health to all,

Ildiko

Glovermicki
Glovermicki
9 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 2:25 PM

Thank you for the information. We too spent the last 9 months planning and researching for our trip we should have left for today. I realized I needed more time in Switzerland so at least I can put more days into our trip that I hope we can do in Sept/Oct. One of the stops was to be Mt. Titlis but now I am wary of the crowds. I thought Sept/Oct was a low season, is this a misconception?

Virgingorda
Virgingorda
54 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 2:47 PM

I'd highly recommend Gimmelwald for some place super unique and authentic. Beautiful and hardly any tourists around day or night, and yet easily accessible from Lauterbrunnen.

We stayed 2 nights and it was so magical. Quiet streets with families still running dairy farms. Several "honesty shops," often just a fridge outside a farm shed, where you can buy homemade and delicious cheeses and sausages and fresh milk thru the honor system. Incredible that a tub of money was just left out there.

I was dreaming about it long after the trip.

Virgingorda
Virgingorda
54 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 2:51 PM

Sorry, typing on the phone doesn't work well. Words tendd to lump together and not fixable

CabinJon
CabinJon
147 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 3:36 PM in reply to Ildiko

Ildiko - Yes, that's it! Thanks. It is a great resource.

CabinJon
CabinJon
147 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 3:49 PM in reply to Glovermicki

Glovermicki - Actually, when we were there on October 7, the crowds at Titlis were mostly in the Rotair rotating gondola and at the top along the suspension bridge. It was entertaining to watch people who are not used to snow walking along the snow covered paths and making snowballs. The smaller gondolas from Engelberg to Trubssee - where you switch to the Rotair for the final leg to the top - were not crowded, and if we had had more time and it had been a bit warmer, we probably would have gotten off at Trubsee for a walk around the lake. Maybe next time. Perhaps it was simply a matter of timing; if you get there just after four tour buses had pulled in, you can expect a few more people at the top. Sept/Oct should definitely be a low season compared to June/July/August.

The Stanserhorn is on the way to Mt. Titlis, and it had far fewer people. Not as high either, but was free with the STP.

CabinJon
CabinJon
147 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 4:01 PM in reply to Annika

Annika - Thank you. We've only been to Switzerland twice recently, and it is simply magical. I can't recall the number of times some location or event from our trips has popped into my mind and my wife and I go off on a mini memory trip recalling the details. It always brings a smile to our face and often a laugh to go along with it. Anything that can do that deserves recognition.

Although we may not get back this year (the wife wanted to go to Italy instead - that's off the table for now), we have not stopped thinking about our next trip to Switzerland, and I'm already adding to our wish list. The current situation will pass, and we can't wait to go back.

mestettler
mestettler
9 posts
Mar 26, 2020 - 5:56 PM in reply to Virgingorda

I had planned to go to Gimmelwald last fall, but my plans changed unexpectedly. So it's at the top of my list for this year's trip to Switzerland, whenever that might be.

Ildiko
Ildiko
911 posts
top member &
Mar 26, 2020 - 9:07 PM in reply to Glovermicki

Hi Glovermicki,

indeed, October is not so crowded but the beginning of September is still busier. You can read more about when is it best to visit Switzerland at www.myswissalps.com/besttimetovisit.

I love the middle September - middle October 'season' as there are fewer tourists, means it is less crowded but the weather can be still lovely. I think it is a good choice to come to Switzerland.

Ildiko

Also read: www.myswissalps.com/weather

Peterli
Peterli
1032 posts
top member
Mar 27, 2020 - 1:13 AM in reply to Ildiko

Hi,

I agree 100% that from mid-September to mid-October is the best time to travel around Switzerland. Most of tourists have gone home so it is not crowded at all and the air is fresh and it is usually sunny.

Summer is nice as well, particularly if you go to places that are off the beaten tourist path.

Winter is Winter, of course, and it is nice at the higher elevations. Not that wonderful on the central plateau (Mittelland). You are often just waiting for Spring to arrive.

Last modified on Mar 27, 2020 - 1:18 AM by Peterli
Virgingorda
Virgingorda
54 posts
Mar 27, 2020 - 7:09 AM in reply to mestettler

Mesteller, hope you'll get a chance to visit Gimmelwald. It's a special place .

When we first got off the cable car and rolling our luggage on an empty road to our hotel, we were greeted by a 2 year boy tottering all by himself in the middle of the street! By instinct I frantically looked around for his parent orbabysitter but not another soul around. Turned out he's our host'sdd kid,and they said it's safe here. Whoa!nan

anyoen else have problem with typing on Android phone in this app? A bunch of wrong autofills and you cannot go back and correct. I don't have This problem in any other Apps

Arno
Arno
14278 posts
expert &
Mar 27, 2020 - 9:55 AM in reply to Virgingorda

Hi Virgingorda,

Do you mean our forum by "this app"? I know that the editor isn't perfect sometimes unfortunately. I didn't find issues specifically on Android yet (I'm typing this on an Android phone). Autofill is a phone setting I guess, you may want to turn it off and try what happens.

Editing a message is sometimes problematic for me as well, also in other websites and apps. That's annoying indeed :-(

Last modified on Mar 27, 2020 - 9:56 AM by Arno
Shroffchetan
Shroffchetan
96 posts
Mar 28, 2020 - 6:13 AM in reply to CabinJon

Can you pl share link of tripreport

Thank you

SWISS TRAVEL MUST KNOWS

All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.

More

NEED SOME TIPS ON WHERE TO SLEEP?

Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

More
© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020