Home  ▶  Get in touch  ▶  Forum  ▶  Coronavirus and hotel closings in Switzerland

Coronavirus and hotel closings in Switzerland

Print this page
Create an account to receive an e-mail when someone replies to this thread
Posts: 6
4 posts
new member
Mar 23, 2020 - 7:40 PM

I am currently still scheduled to leave the US on May 26. Family of 4 traveling together, our adult children are 25 and 19. This trip was planned, because we've been thinking that traveling as a family in the future may become something of the past with the kids ages and schedules. I know this virus situation is evolving daily, so I'm just preparing myself, if I will need to modify some of my itinerary or reschedule the trip for later in the summer. However, my travel dates need are restricted to the beginning of June because of work and one of my children has a summer internship program she has already committed to.

My itinerary is (for now) as follows:

May 27 -29 - Lucerne (I've contacted Hotel Villa Honegg to see if they will still be open, no response yet)

May 29 - June 1 - Wengen (I was just informed that the Beausite Park Hotel in Wengen, will now be closed until June 5). So I am am looking for an alternate property. Any recommendations of places to stay in Wengen ???

June 1 - 3 - Zermatt - I contacted the hotel Julen, and as of this morning, they are scheduled to reopen April 19.

June 3 - Glacier Express out of Zermatt. Seat reservations already purchased for the Excellence Class

June 3 and on, I'm scheduled in Salzburg and Munich, and return home June 10. I've been in contact with these hotels.

As you already know, a lot of time goes into planning a Switzerland itinerary, and as I think about having to modify/reschedule everything, especially my Swiss Travel Passes, and Excellence Class Seat reservations, hotel bookings, I'm just overwhelmed.

The unknown:

1) everything, we just have to wait and see what transpires from here on out.

2) rescheduling or changing the Excellence Class Reservations (at this time, my travel dates have not been posted about possible interruptions)

3) modifying the dates for the Swiss Travel Passes. (again, the dates for my Swiss Pass Pass have not been posted for changes)

4) If I have to reschedule for a few weeks later (due to travel date restraints), I will need to get in touch with all the hotels I have reserved, to see if they have availability on very specific days, so everything coordinates again. I'm worried some of the hotels could be sold out, who knows though.

I'm being optimistic that I will still be able to travel, however I have an open mind that this trip could be scrubbed for my May 26 departure.

I'm hoping to get a new hotel in Wengen for my original dates. And after mid April, if the travel restrictions haven't changed, then I will have to look possibly for some new travel dates.

I am in the Travel Industry, and this Covid-19, has definitely affected my business with trip cancellations, and reschedulings for journeys that were departing in April and early May. Still have trips scheduled but on alert if they will depart for mid-may to the end of May. It will be a wait and see.

7327 posts
Mar 24, 2020 - 12:06 AM in reply to Nlp1

Hi Nlp1-

I'm no expert, but i think you are overly optimistic. Switzerland may have things under control by then, but here in theUS, the Fedral government is still not using maximum force, and things are disorganized enough that I'm predicting that my May 23 departure will not be possible. So, I am cancelling. for late May, early June.

If they are open, the Hotel Bellevue in Wengen is my favorite.


123 posts
active member
Mar 24, 2020 - 12:33 AM

Hi Nlp1,

Last year we stayed at the Hotel Edelweiss in Wengen for 8 nights. It was great.

Good luck,


259 posts
top member
Mar 24, 2020 - 12:53 AM

Hotel Wengener Hof - stayed there last year. Loved it. Whichever hotel you find, be sure to book a room looking toward the Jungfrau area.

2253 posts
top member &
Mar 24, 2020 - 5:08 AM in reply to Nlp1

Hello Nlp1,

First of all I would like to share Arnos thread containing all the important links to keep up-to-date with the Coronavirus situation in Switzerland. Please make sure to closely keep an eye on them:
- www.myswissalps.com/forum/topic/does-the-corona-virus-affect-trips-to-switzerland

I would strongly recommend, IF you stick with your travel plans, to also contact the retailers of the Swiss Travel Pass and the Excellence Class early enough to find out about the possibility of re-scheduling.

However, the situation at the moment is so hard to judge, all I can say is "fingers crossed", that your plans work out.


Maloja Snake
Maloja Snake
27 posts
active member
Mar 24, 2020 - 8:36 AM in reply to Nlp1

I admire your optimism. I have a trip planned from the US in mid-July and I have considerable doubts that this is currently realistic. But sheltering in place in my apt in NYC, for the last two weeks, with an expectation that my self-quarantine will extend for at least eight more, may have dampened my outlook.

The best of luck, and please keep this forum apprised of your developing circumstances, especially regarding hotel availability. It would be extremely helpful.


All you need to know about traveling by train, bus or car in Switzerland.



Hand picked Swiss hotels and other accommodations are right here.

© MySwissAlps.com 2002-2020